I am an affiliate marketer based in the Philippines for a few years now and currently, I’m earning 6 figures monthly by doing affiliate marketing. In this article, I will show you how to start affiliate marketing step by step. This will be an in-depth tutorial so be sure to read it thoroughly. I will explain here everything you need to know about affiliate marketing. You will also know why we consider affiliate marketing as the best homebase or online job in the world right now. This article is last updated on June 2, 2021.
What is Affiliate Marketing
In short, affiliate marketing is promoting a product, brand, company, or service, and getting a commission for every product that you can sell. So basically, doing affiliate marketing is being a middleman to a buyer and a seller. Affiliate marketing is just like selling products online but you don’t need to buy and store the products that you’re going to sell. You only refer the products to people, and you make money.
For sure, it may sound familiar to a popular “marketing business” here in the Philippines called network marketing or networking companies, but no it’s completely different. In networking, you earn a commission by inviting people to join. While in affiliate marketing, you earn a commission by promoting products.
How Much can you Earn from Affiliate Marketing
As I said at the beginning of this post, I make 6 figures per month from affiliate marketing. If you ask “can I make that kind of money too?” of course, but it will take time. I’ve been doing affiliate marketing for 2 years now and I’ve been blogging for 5 years. Do not expect to earn that big on your first day or month of doing affiliate marketing. But with correct guidance, proper process, and perseverance, you can definitely earn decent money not that long. This is why I suggest you to do affiliate marketing or blogging as a side hustle in the beginning, don’t expect it to be your main source of income right away.
Here’s a screenshot of my earnings for the month of February, this is from one affiliate program and one blog only:
Aside from how hard you work for it, it also depends on the affiliate program and the product. Some affiliate programs pay for as low as 2% commission while some pay you for as high as 50% commission. It also depends on the product you’re promoting, if the product is worth 1,000 PHP and the commission rate is 2%, you will make 20 PHP. If the product is worth 10,000 PHP, then you will earn 200 PHP per sale. But if the affiliate program pays you for 50% commission, selling a 1,000 PHP worth of product will earn you 500 PHP for a single sale.
If you want a video version of this guide, do subscribe to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxJBxoKv02D8I0MtaCOD9nA I will start uploading videos very soon!
Why Affiliate Marketing is the best way to Make Money Online
I’ve been making money online for a very long time now and affiliate marketing is the best way to do it, here are the reasons why:
If you don’t know what passive income means, passive income is making money while doing minimal work, and it’s my favorite part of being an affiliate marketer. I make money while playing online games, while on vacation, and literally while sleeping. I’m not saying that you don’t work at all. In what I do which is blogging and affiliate marketing, you will need to put a lot of time writing articles and researching for what people are interested in. But after that, you only need to wait for your blog to rank on google so people will see it and you can make money for years to come. You also need to learn about SEO or search engine optimization if you’re going to be blogging. Mastering SEO is the most important thing when it comes to blogging since it will determine how many people will be going to your website and clicking on your affiliate links.
You will only do 1 Job
Affiliate marketing is like owning and operating a store, the main difference is you don’t need to buy and keep stocks of the products you are selling. It’s very much like online selling, but you only have 1 job to do, to promote or market the products. You don’t need to worry about the shipping, customer complaints, returns, etc. The company (Lazada for example) takes care of all that, you’re just a middle man as I said before.
Much lower Capital
I’ve been an online seller myself, I once had a store on Shopee Philippines and one of the reasons why I stopped is I got tired of the competition. Other bigger stores keep bringing down their prices until it comes down to who got more stocks wins since he can sell cheaper and still make money. While with affiliate marketing, if a product doesn’t work out, you can always find other products to sell since you only need one product on hand to review. You don’t need to buy 100 or 500 pieces and lose a huge amount of capital if no one buys.
Make Money from the Products you’re currently using
I’ll just give you an example to make it easier to explain. This is from my own experience promoting a product that I actually use.
- I am a gamer, I needed a gaming chair, so I bought a gaming chair from Lazada.
- Since I have a gaming blog, I created a review of the gaming chair and posted it on my blog. I talked about my first impressions of the product, how durable is it, is it comfortable, etc.
- I put the affiliate link of the gaming chair to the article and convinced my viewers to buy it from Lazada.
- Now I just waited for the article to rank up on google search, so when people search for a review of that gaming chair on google they will see my article.
- Once they clicked on the affiliate link and they buy the gaming chair from Lazada, I earn a commission.
- I bet this will excite you, I paid 8,000 PHP for the gaming chair. Since the commission rate for furnitures on Lazada is 7%. I earn 560 PHP commission per sale. So I only need 14 sales to take my money back. The succeeding sales will be net income.
And that’s what I’m talking about, I don’t need to buy more stocks of the gaming chair to sell more. As long as people are searching for a review of that product from google and go to my blog, I continue to earn money for the years to come.
What you Need to Start Affiliate Marketing
Here are the requirements you need to consider first before you can begin in affiliate marketing:
1. Your Niche
In affiliate marketing, your niche is basically the category of the products you’re going to promote. It is also the category of the articles you’re going to write on your blog or the category of videos you’re going to upload to your Youtube channel. To make it easier for you to decide on a niche, just think of what you like doing, in short, your hobbies. If you like traveling, then your niche should be about traveling. If you like playing video games, then we recommend video games as your niche.
2. Traffic Source
Traffic source is where you will be promoting your affiliate links. The most effective platforms to promote affiliate programs are Facebook page, Youtube Channel, and Blogs.
Important: Before you continue to the 3rd requirement to start affiliate marketing, you should have a traffic source first as it is required when you apply for affiliate programs. There are also some requirements for your traffic source before getting approved.
Facebook page: At least 100 likes or followers. At least 5 posts. It is actually very easy to get 100 likes on your FB page, just ask your friends. You can even use an existing Facebook page if you have and use it to apply.
Youtube Channel: At least 100 subscribers. At least 5 videos.
Website: At least 5 articles.
They might raise these requirements in the future so if your traffic source gets rejected when applying to affiliate programs, you just need to gain more followers on your pages.
Most affiliate programs require you to have a website or a blog first to get accepted. Having your own website tells affiliate programs that you’re really serious about affiliate marketing and you can be an actual good business partner for them. The most recommended type of website to apply to an affiliate program is a blog, here’s our article that can help you on how to create your own blog.
3. The Affiliate Program
An affiliate program is a place where you’re going to get the products to promote. The best affiliate programs here in the Philippines I can recommend is Involve Asia. It is very much like Amazon associates which is one of the most popular affiliate program in the world. Involve Asia is like an all-in-one platform since you can promote the biggest e-commerce store in the Philippines which is Shopee and Lazada. And in my opinion, Shopee and Lazada are easier to promote than Amazon if you’re here in the Philippines because they are more known and trusted by people. Another reason is most Filipinos who buy online prefer cod or cash on delivery which is not available on amazon.
Involve Asia is applicable to most niches as you can find there almost any product you want to promote. If your niche is gaming, you can find products like computer parts from Shopee and Lazada to promote. If your niche is carpentry, you can find products like drills on Shopee and Lazada as well.
If you’re going to be in the travel niche, the best affiliate program I can recommend is hotel booking affiliate programs like agoda affiliates. You will promote hotels to your readers or viewers and for every successful booking, you earn a commission.
How to Start Affiliate Marketing with Lazada and Shopee Philippines
Step 1: Go to Involve Asia website and register.
Fill up your personal information. Make sure that your email and contact number are correct.
You will be asked to provide a property (Facebook page, Website, Youtube Channel where you’re going to promote your affiliate links). The property URL is the link to your Facebook page, website or Youtube Channel. Name of Property obviously the name of your page or channel. And under Channel, choose Content. In the property description, simply describe your property. For example: “This page is all about car parts, I review and promote car parts”. Then you will choose the category of your property (Fashion, Travel, etc.)
After filling up the information, you will be required to confirm your email address. Go to your email account and click the link from Involve Asia to activate your account.
At this point, your property will undergo review. You will get the result within 48 hours. Wait for the result of the review first before you can start promoting affiliate links.
Step 2: Apply to Shopee and Lazada Affiliate programs
Once your property gets approved, you can now apply to Shopee and Lazada affiliate programs and start promoting products. To do this, go to Partner > Advertiser Directory. Browse and find Shopee and Lazada or you can also use the search bar. Make sure it’s Shopee PH and Lazada PH, not other countries. Click on Apply beside Shopee or Lazada, you will be asked a few questions.
Where does your traffic come from? Facebook page or Youtube Channel or Website
Please specify your website URL, if it’s different than the registered URL under your affiliate account. https://www.facebook.com/yourfacebookpagename
How do you intend to promote this offer? by posting contents on my facebook page/youtube channel/website
Should you intend to buy media to promote this offer, kindly state your media source URL or your media buy website URL. https://www.facebook.com/yourfacebookpagename
Click Save after answering the questions.
Your application will now be reviewed. You can check under Partner > My Advertisers, once you’re approved.
How to Get your Affiliate Links
In order to promote Shopee/Lazada products and get paid, you need to get the affiliate links first from your Involve Asia Dashboard. Affiliate links are important so that the sales coming from you will be tracked. Every affiliate partner (you) have their own unique affiliate links given by the affiliate program. And every product has its own affiliate link. To get the affiliate links and start promoting products, you just need to login to your affiliate dashboard (assuming that you’re application is accepted by the affiliate program).
Here’s how to get your product affiliate links on Involve Asia:
- Log into your Involve Asia dashboard.
- Go to Promotion > Deeplink Generator.
- Select the property where you want to promote the product.
- Open a new tab on your browser, go to Shopee or Lazada and choose a product you want to promote.
- Copy the link of the product, go to your Involve Asia tab and paste it in the Advertiser URL. Click on Shopee PH or Lazada PH wherever you got the link.
- Click Generate and there it is, the affiliate link you need to promote the product.
That will be the link that you’re going to promote on your Facebook page, Youtube Channel or Website. When people click on that link and buys a product, you make earn a commission.
How to Promote your Affiliate Products
Once you’ve decided on your niche, you have a blog, and you’ve signed up for an affiliate program, no we will teach you how to promote the products and start getting sales.
1. Via Social Media Sites – One of the best and free ways to promote your links is via social media networks like Facebook and Instagram. Here’s how you can do it:
- Create a Facebook page and name it to something related to your niche. For example: if your niche is traveling, you can name your page “Traveling with Juan”, if your niche is gaming, you can name your page “Juan Gaming”.
- Make your page look presentable. If you don’t have a logo yet to use as a profile picture and cover photo, you can use images that are of course related to your niche.
- Once you’re done with the details of your page, you’re now ready to promote products. To do this, find a product you want to promote, get a good image of the product either from google or from Lazada. Post the photo on your page, and then add the affiliate link of the product on the photo caption.
- Now you can go to Facebook groups related to that product and share the post there.
2. Via Youtube – Another free but very efficient place to promote your affiliate links is via Youtube. If you are promoting physical products, you can film a video of yourself reviewing a product, upload it to youtube, and put your affiliate link in the video description. When someone watches your video and buys the product using your affiliate link, you earn a commission. This is what most review channels on youtube are doing to make more money aside from youtube ads. If you search for a Samsung Galaxy s10 review on youtube right now and check the video description, there’s a very high chance that you will find a link to buy that phone on Amazon.
3. Blogging – I’ve been blogging for 5 years now and aside from ads, the majority of my blog earnings come from Affiliate Marketing. I prefer blogging since I don’t have that confidence to talk to the camera and upload a video of myself reviewing a product on Youtube. The best thing about blogging also is you can earn money passively, unlike Facebook or Youtube wherein you need to post and upload content more often. In blogging, you can post articles and you can earn from those articles for years to come.
Although starting a blog is not free (but also not expensive), it’s still the best method to do affiliate marketing in my opinion. Here’s our article on how to create a blog and earn money from it.
Start Affiliate Marketing Today
Now that we’ve answered the most asked questions regarding affiliate marketing, here’s a step by step summary of the process to start earning money through affiliate marketing:
STEP 1: Decide on your Niche – Something you love doing and you’re knowledgeable about.
STEP 2: Create a Facebook Page – It’s the easiest way to promote products for beginners.
STEP 3: Create a Youtube Channel – This is for you If you’re confident to film a video of yourself reviewing products.
STEP 4: Create a Blog – Aside from a requirement to get accepted on most affiliate programs. Blogging is for more serious and long term affiliate marketing. Read our article to know more about blogging.
STEP 5: Sign up for an affiliate program. Start with Involve Asia, it’s one of the easiest ways to start affiliate marketing here in the Philippines
Step 6: Start promoting the affiliate links on your Facebook page, Youtube channel, or blog. The best way to promote your affiliate links is by making reviews about products or services.
If you have any questions regarding affiliate marketing that we didn’t cover in this article, comment down below. You can also message and be sure to like our Facebook page to get updates: https://www.facebook.com/PesoAdviceOfficial.
I also have a Youtube Channel. I will be uploading video versions of these guides and tutorials in the future so if you want to be updated, be sure to subscribe https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxJBxoKv02D8I0MtaCOD9nA